Community Development Internships
Volunteer with children on our international community development internships; an internship in community development provides you with real-life experience to expand your career development. GVI’s community development interns mostly support the children of local communities with our renowned global partners, such as Save The Children, on a diverse range of initiatives in educational enrichment, public health awareness, women’s empowerment, and sustainable environmental practices. Our internships offer you practical experience that helps you to achieve your personal and professional goals, whether or not you desire a future career path working with children. GVI community development interns can partake in quality role-modeling for children in India or Nepal, and provide increased access to education and a nurturing environment; mentor and teach disadvantaged children in Fiji, South Africa or Costa Rica; and assist community organizations with local outreach on sustainable projects and public health awareness. Our internships don’t just give you hands-on practical skills, but can also contribute towards your university or college qualification; find out if you qualify for academic credit! Apart from these internships we now also have a range of programs specifically for students looking to travel during their spring break; join an alternative springbreak program or join a gap year volunteering program abroad and make a real difference in the world. Alternatively, if you are not interested in an internship you can choose one of our volunteer teaching abroad or volunteer with children programs.
If you complete a community development internship you will gain:
- Comprehensive staff mentorship, feedback and evaluation on an individual, self-directed project
- Hands-on field training for sustainable development, teaching, and managing children
- Real-world experience working with children in disadvantaged communities
- Emergency First Response (EFR) Training
- Development of collaborative, leadership, teamwork, and problem-solving skills with our GVI Leadership Course
- The opportunity for Spanish language immersion in Mexico and Costa Rica
- A professional recommendation for future employers upon completion of the course
- A potential work placement for qualified individuals
Please note that GVI has a Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy that is implemented on each program. As part of the policy, participants will be required to complete a DPS check, Police Clearance, or a National Background Check where necessary, and to comply by the policy.
Download our program brochures